Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Making a Splash


Whenever it rains for some hours, as it did night before last and yesterday morning, this puddle forms in this spot on the park's service road outside my front window.

Every passing toddler heads straight for it to splash about in it. Some parents are more tolerant than others, like the one yesterday who stood there for ten minutes or more in the rain while her little daughter came up with at least ten creative ways to splash about.

My mother took a very different approach. As a kid I just couldn't resist a puddle of water after the rain or during the rain. The consequence for getting my clothes all soaked and muddy was usually a spanking. The consequence for having taken off my clothes so I could splash about without getting them wet or muddy was the same. 

Some time ago during a birthday party for my granddaughter, the rain fell. Spontaneously all the little girls lost interest in the games they were playing inside. They insisted on being taken outside, where they headed right for that puddle. Their enjoyment of it is the subject of the picture below.

6 comments:

Pak Idrus said...

louis, a familiar scene in every culture.

Playing in the rain is in our gene, so it is only natural that our species would be alert to the happening. Thus the kids would want to go and play in the rain and splash in the pool of water. It is real fun, care less of the danger. We did enjoyed it so are those kids.

Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the next time we are visiting it will rain and you and I can go run through the puddles or better still walk.

louis said...

I guess it must be in our genes, or because of the fact that for our first nine months of life we lived in a sac of water :) Whatever the reason, at least some of us have been willing to pay any price (punishment, colds, sniffles, soggy clothes) to play in water, Idrus.

louis said...

Hi Sue,
It's great to see your Comment here.

It's a deal and yes, I think my top speed now is walking, so the running is out.

Fauziah Ismail said...

Hi Louis
You brought back my childhood memories of playing in the rain (no, we never consider waiting for the rain to stop) despite mom's stern warnings.
Until today, I still love the smell of freshness in the air when it rains and after it had stopped.

louis said...

Hello Fauziah,

I see from your blog that you are going on a trip. So am I: leaving Friday on a cruise to Alaska.

All the best.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive