Monday, March 2, 2009

Random Access

Random Access

I no longer keep shelves of prized books. Once they are read, most of my books are replaced on my limited shelf space by other books.

Every now and then my wife gathers up the books we have read, calls one or two of the grandchildren, and off we go to a secondhand bookstore.

There our old books are bought by the proprietor at a ridiculously low price. That amount (usually plus an extra allowance) my wife then assigns to the accompanying grandchildren for them to buy books for themselves at the store. They are voracious readers so they love those excursions. It’s very interesting observing them make decisions as they reconcile their desire for certain books with the limits of their budget.

After these trades the new books that have been lying around irritatingly (because, I confess, I tend to like things in their proper place) in various nooks and crannies around the house take their place on the bookshelves, more or less.

It’s at times like that that I appreciate the emphasis on memorization that characterized much of my generation’s education and the value placed on keeping books in as pristine a condition as reasonable. You never dog-eared a page to which you thought you would want to return.


There were no yellow Highlighters back then to mark passages for future reference. Notes in margins were frowned on, and reduced the value of your books, which were almost always sold at the end of term to finance secondhand books from the class ahead. “Open Book” tests were undreamed of and notes written on a book were considered an attempt to cheat.

The first thing one did on getting a new book was to make a dust jacket for it with newspaper, or, more prized, crisp, glossy, waxed brown paper that had been used to wrap some item from the cornerstore.

We were trained to carry around significant passages from our books in our heads. That approach has been banished from schools for several decades now, and certainly a diet of mostly rote learning is poor. However it developped a habit of and a capacity to stash away in one’s memory the most enjoyable or useful parts of any genre of book one read. These become closely integrated into one’s life, always ready to be recalled: the ultimate portable RAM.

Now, even though my wellworn but wellstocked memory sometimes isn’t always accurate or efficient, I can still access in my head many a beautiful, insightful, inspirational or useful reference from some book that is no longer available on my bookshelves.


My memory has outlived this failed harddrive by several decades.

6 comments:

Pak Idrus said...

Louis, Random Access. Using the computer language now eh!. That's cool.

Well our brain is still the best storage of data and it is actually fun to retrieved it from time to time. Actually our memories of the past are becoming clearer as we age, so not to worry we still can do without the portable hard drive.

As for the books I am now transferring some of it to our Malacca's home.

Have a nice day.

louis said...

Hello Pak Idrus,

It seems it's our longterm memory that becomes better. Just don't ask me to recall events of the day before :)

I felt compelled to brush up on current IT jargon ever since my eight year old granddaughter had to attach a glossary of IT terms to an e-mail so I could understand her.

All the best.

Pak Zawi said...

louis,
One of my teachers trained me to write a precis of the books I read. Once a month he will pick at random on anyone of us to read our summary. It was indeed a very good excercise which I benefited very much later in life. Commit to memory on certain passage? Maybe for certain books by Shakespeare.

louis said...

I remember those precis exercises, Zawi.

JALAN REBUNG said...

hello louis,

What a great solution ....especially what to do with books that have been read.

Thanks

louis said...

Hi Rizal,

Try it out with your kids :)

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive