Saturday, November 7, 2009

Windows Opening on the World


Somewhere among the muddled memories of my High School days is a line of poetry that refers to “Magic casements opening on...faerie lands forlorn”. Or something to that effect. The poet is either Keats or Coleridge of the group of English poets then known as the “Romantic Poets”, later, as the “Lake Poets”. I remember it because my English Litt. teacher hated it and expressed his loathing at every opportunity.

I couldn’t understand why he disliked it so much. There were numerous other passages that to me were just as overblown.

Besides, to me, windows had always seemed as, well, windows, letting in the riches of the outside world. I wasn’t much of an outdoors kid, so for me, windows were an important conduit to the world outside.

They let in the clean fresh breezes after rain. The “Demarara” windows at rented seaside vacation chalets, large slabs of solid wood or framed wooden jalousies, hinged at the top and resting on a broad shelf-like sill that jutted out from the wall, and propped open with a stick, framed tranquil expanses of sea with an occasional fisherman’s pirogue moving too slowly to leave a wake, just a transitory thin furrow. The fragrance and colors of Tropical flora came into the house through windows. People talked to each other through their windows. The palette and pastry sellers, the women who did the laundry, the postman, all announced themselves through the front windows.

Windows protected you from the forbidding aspects of your world, like lightning and thunder, and the dark of night. And every now and then, by accident of course, I batted or threw a ball through the glass pane of a closed window touching off a less than pleasant encounter with the neighbors or my parents.

After I left the Tropics and woke up on my first morning in London I realized that windows could open onto a lonely, drab, forlorn world of stark chimney pots vague, gray and ghostly in their shrouds of coal polluted air. Close the sashes as tightly as you could and the bleak, damp air still crept in and wailed and rattled as it did.

New windows rapidly began opening when I went overseas to study. They were metaphorical windows: opportunities that opened on to new vistas of career and personal development.

There have been memorable windows along my travels: my hotel room in Vienna with twelve foot ceilings and tall windows draped with heavy velvet curtains that looked out across to the Opera House and down below, on the busy Ringstrasse with its trolleys and a walking street with its patisseries and fine shops. A panorama of snow-covered jagged Alps and the quaint ancient wooden covered bridge filled my hotel window at Lake Lucerne, Switzerland. The fantasy of a city built on water, that magical element of my childhood, eventually fulfilled itself in the view of the canals of Venice from a hotel window. In the window of my cruise ship docked in Alicante, Spain, the defiant, turreted walls of the Moorish fort marching across a hill still glowered defiantly as they did at attackers centuries ago.

For various reasons, but mostly because airports have become such a nuisance and planes beset by irritating, unnecessary and unexpected annoyances, I haven’t travelled much recently, but I have found a rich source of wondrous windows to a world far from forlorn in the form of live webcams.

As I sit by my fireside, at the touch of an icon on my handheld iPod Touch a panoply of windows puts me into any kind of live milieu, indoors or outdoors, that I can wish for. There are sunny beaches and resorts to escape to when the chill, dark weather of Seattle closes in. The pandas, tigers and other exotic animals in zoos tumble and prowl. College campuses and bookstores, bars, restaurants, museums, pachinko parlors and even a barbershop in Tokyo, construction sites, cruise ships at sea...something is open at any time of day or night.

My favorite scenes though are of city centers. I have become well acquainted with the daily rhythm of life at a busy intersection of a city in Hungary and another in Bulgaria. The webcams at those two sites offer especially fine resolution in their pictures, have a good frame rate so that movement seems pretty natural and both have functions such as panning, zooming and tilting that can be controlled by me sitting here thousands of miles away.

Those cities are 8 and 9 hours ahead of my time, so at my nighttime I join in the bustle early in their workday: the trams closely following each other, picking up and letting out their passengers, cars and delivery trucks circling the traffic roundabout, the people dressed in their winter coats hustling along or stopping to chat and gesture, going into and out of business places. The pictures are sharp enough to distinguish some facial features. Once I could even conjecture a snippet of the conversation of a group of three people waiting for their trolley: one of them gestured, and the other lifted his foot and pointed at his shoe. “Yes. New pair of shoes...like them?” They were all slightly just larger than large ants, five or six thousand miles away, but it was like being there, a tourist chancing upon a conversation.

After I wake up on my morning I can observe the scene at the end of their day: employees pushing large trash bins out to the sidewalks to be emptied later then walking off with a shopping bag, or returning to the shop’s door to check that it is locked before driving away in a car that has pulled up to the curb for them.

The city is shutting down for the night: trolleys are less frequent now, the traffic and pedestrians almost all gone. Traffic lights blink to empty streets. I feel as though I should be turning up the collar of my winter coat, checking the door one more time to see if its secure, then walking out of view.


12 comments:

Ric Hernandez said...

Windows -- a wonderful theme, and thanks for allowing me to look through. And Demerara windows. The word conjurs up a picture, for me, of a weather-beaten old house with a jankee in the yard festooned with carailee bush and a rainwater barrel with a calabash in it.

louis said...

Rainwater: an essential part of holidays Down the Islands where it was the only drinking water available in those days. Collected off the roof into big concrete cisterns. I still remember its taste, and the big heavy solid brass faucets of the cisterns..the same kind used on the steel drums storing "pitch oil" for the stove at home.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very well written Louis. What different worlds we see outside each window. You've described yours very colorfully.

Your electronic window / webcam reminds me of "Rear Window". Now, what will you do if you suspect a crime in progress?

The Hungarian and Bulgarian webcams are very clear indeed. Is there a link to cities?

JALAN REBUNG said...

Hello louis,

definitely one of the best way to experience other places without having to leave your house. Thanks for sharing

rizal

louis said...

Adirya,

There are no links with the webcams on my iPod.

Haven't thought of the "Rear Window" aspect, but I did have a bird's eye view of a motorist making a silly lane change almost causing a collision :)

Thanks for your evaluation.

louis said...

Yes, Rizal, watching the webcams may only be virtual travel but for the time being it's a good substitute. Too bad I can't get to taste that ice kacang you so kindly offered via a webcam.

Pak Idrus said...

Louis, With technology we can be everwhere from nowhere and enjoy the world as we like it. So what is Reality! Remember the Matrix movie!

BTW what did you see at the junction of Jalan Sultan Ismail and Jalan Bukit Bintang. Surely you know this place well. Who know Rizal or Me crossing the road eh!. I would wave the next time I am there.

Have a nice day.

louis said...

Hi Idrus,

Unfortunately I couldn't see either you or Rizal or anybody else or the monorail at that intersection (yes, I do know it well).

The reason is that Malaysia is still poorly served by webcams. That's very disappointing since Malaysia would be one of the places I would most like to observe.

A number of cams are listed, but practically all are offline, not updated or not streaming. The only satisfactory one I have seen so far is one at Cameron Highlands. Hard to understand, given all the apparent commitment to IT from years back.

If anyone out there knows of streaming webcams, I would appreciate their url's.

Pak Zawi said...

Louis,
Splendid description via your windows of the world theme. It was almost poetic by itself.
We all should see through our windows sometimes be it real or virtual to see the goings on outside the confine of our life. Our life will get richer that way.
Your mention about the River in Lucerne Switzerland definitely brings back fond memories of that beautiful city that I once visited.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

I enjoyed the line from the poem too, although I have to agree with your teacher that it was overblown. But it certainly wasn't unusual to write in such a highly-wrought style in that period.

I enjoyed imagining the view from the windows of the beach house of your childhood and the fog-shrouded chimney pots and rooftops of London.

I really liked the Art Deco archway in the center photo in the final triptych. For that reason alone, I too would want to have webcams set up in places of interest!

I have taken the liberty of blogrolling you. May I now have your retroactive permission please?

louis said...

Hello CO_'78,
It's a privilege to have my blog included in your blog roll. Thanks.

That Art Deco arch is somewhere near a very busy intersection in Hungary and it seems to be a focus of a lot of commercial acivity.

These webcams certainly open up most of the world to people who used to be called "armchair travellers".

louis said...

Zawi,
Thanks for your compliment.

You have been opening up a lot of windows yourself, to Europe and your own Malaysia. I especially appreciate the cultural insights you provide.

And yes, Lucerne is a delightful place.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive