Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Forgotten Packet

Remember Airmail writing pads? The ones that usually had “Par Avion” and a drawing of an airplane along with its label?

During a lull in using my computer last week I rummaged around in my bookshelves and from the back of a cabinet I retrieved a packet that somehow had survived the many cullings as I reduced the number of belongings I had to move when I migrated from one residence to another over the past five or six decades.

That packet hadn’t been opened in at least 30 years, but was in pristine condition, so what could it be?

There they were, fragments of two Airmail writing pads and assorted loose sheets of writing paper. They were filled with the writings of a young man who was uprooted right at the beginning of his maturity and transplanted into a completely unfamiliar world, far removed from his first and only home and his extended family. A young man, with an upbringing that had stressed close family ties, a network of mentors, authority figures, wise elders and institutions that determined and monitored everyone’s values and behaviors for generations, cut loose from every one of those influences. A young man, who had only lived in a world where one’s life was pretty well mapped out and where there were always nurturing relatives, priests, guidelines and dogmas to keep him on course but who was now free of all those supports. A young man where no one took note of him or anything he might do, or cared what he did.

The writings seemed to fall into two categories: the introspections of that young man trying to find himself, to establish his own identity as he observed, misunderstood, marveled and interacted with his unfamiliar world, and the pseudo poetic laments for his usually hopeless and largely fantasized romances.

I hardly recognized myself.

By what miracle or good fortune did I morph from that person I was embarrassed to identify as me in those writings into a reasonably mature senior citizen?

And how did those writings happen to be on obsolete airmail writing pads?

Well, it was largely because I didn’t have a camera in 1959. Actually I did possess a good 35mm camera and even a light meter and a folding flash that used up one flashbulb for each flash... but you only carried around all that cumbersome gear to record rare special events. More compelling was the long time and the expense it took in those days to use up and develop those expensive 36 exposure rolls of 35mm film then airmail the heavy prints overseas back home.

So, I wrote letters, lots of them and at length trying to recreate all those new scenes, events and experiences that I so wanted to share with my parents and siblings who I knew strained to imagine just what my new world was like. Just before I left home I happened on my mother more than once holding her forearms in the fridge trying to feel the unimaginable (for us Tropical natives) cold her poor son would soon be enduring. Some of those letters I didn’t mail, or copied to myself, and there they were, some, leaves still attached to the pads.

They were thin and fragile to the touch as though they would disintegrate just as the uncertain young man they revealed had disappeared into time past.

I won’t be blogging about that young man. There are one or two passages in which this young person looks in wide-eyed wonder at some scene or place hitherto unknown to him and those I may publish.

10 comments:

Guanaguanare said...

Louis,
This is just beautiful...
Blessings

louis said...

Guanaguanare,

Thanks for your blessings and your very encouraging comment.

Pak Idrus said...

Louis, a blessing indeed. It is Santa gift to you this Christmas. A treasure that is priceless.

I believe I know that young man. Take care.

louis said...

Sure, Idrus, that young man was me, but he won't be appearing in my blog. As I mentioned, I am embarrassed to think of what I was back in those days.

Anonymous said...

Louis,

that's a wonderful time capsule that you've unearthed. Cherish it. Most people don't have a time capsule of themselves dating that far back.

As for being embarrassed about the "younger you", it's natural - part of morphing into the next stage. We look at our "younger selves" from this side of life, and feel embarrassed. I'm sure if our "younger selves" had a crystal ball back then and saw the future "older self", the same embarrassment would be felt. "What!!?? Me!? Turning into that embarrassing old nut?"

It's the different context in which each of our "selves" lived in. Like a fully clothed person on a nudist beach, I'd be embarrassed to be seen in bell bottoms and shoulder length hair now, just like my "younger self" might be embarrassed to be in suit and tie.

As they say, it seemed like the right thing to do back then :)

louis said...

Hi Adirya,

That's an interesting suggestion: changing the perspective so that the young man evaluates himself as a senior. Won't recognize him, I bet.

BTW, what do you mean "dating that far back? :) 1959 wasn't exactly the Juraissic Era, was it?

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Louis, I've always believed that one should always destroy one's juvenalia, but perhaps it only applies to me. I would never believe that you are capable of writing anything that you'd be embarrassed to read 40 years on. You always appear to me to be such a thinker -- so eloquent, so considerate and so balanced in your views. Those air mail writing pads and envelopes, I have them too. And stacks of postcards that I would send to friends during the school holidays because I missed them so and could not use the parental phone without a valid reason such as to check on homework assignments and sports practice sessions.

louis said...

Hi ~Covert~

I came from a background in which conservation was a way of life, long before it was thought of as conservation. There seemed to be a use for everything, new or used and so we kept most everything, because some day a use would be found for it, even though, as you implied, that could work towards one's disadvantage or embarrassment!
My packrat instinct has been almost extinguished now, except for one area. Photos. Preserving photos digitally has become a hobby. What a different medium from those writing pads,huh? Interesting to know you still have some, and even the matching airmail envelopes. Should have guessed that you have a keen interest in writing: your fluent writing style is evidence.
Did you go overseas to study, or boarded at a school? How did you develop your intense commitment to volunteering help to humans and animals?

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Thank you for your kind response to my comment, Louis. I studied in a semi-rural school in Rawang, Selangor. There isn't much to look forward to in school except track-and-field events and cross-country running. I loved long-distance running because it was representative of my desire to run away to some other place, where the libraries are well-stocked and there are proper bookshops in town. Perhaps after the Blog4Ft competition comes to a close on Jan 5, 2010, I will write a post on growing up in a small town.

louis said...

Covert'78

Whatever school it was you attended, it provided an excellent education.

Looking forward to that projected post.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive