Sunday, May 30, 2010

Marktplatz, Coburg

My first view of the Marktplatz of Coburg, an ancient town in Bavaria, Germany, was from somewhere high up in this building, the Rathaus or Townhall.


At the time I was sitting in front of a warm fire here in my home in Seattle with my iPod Touch, having just discovered the wonders of looking at almost anywhere in the world, live, thanks to Livecams, an app with a database of webcams all over the world, and I was looking at the view from one of those cams which looks down on the Marktplatz from high in the Rathaus.


One advantage of watching the world through a webcam is that you can witness the rhythm of the life of a city as it changes from morning through the night, through good weather and bad, from season to season. As a traveller one can usually spend only a few days, a few weeks if one is fortunate enough, in any one place, not long enough for that.

The first time I saw the Marktplatz in Coburg it was nighttime there, eight hours ahead of my Seattle early afternoon. The square was deserted, crisscrossed by the tracks of vehicles in the recently fallen snow.


The next night that same square was alive, brightly illuminated and festive with its Christmas Market.


That scene lasted for some weeks, till one day workers with heavy construction equipment and trucks showed up, dismantling the stalls and taking them into storage for next winter.


Marktplatz reverted to a quiet stately role, the statue of Prince Albert, the consort of Britain’s Queen Victoria at its center. (That match was made here in Coburg and Victoria is said to have declared that she would always consider Coburg her second home. She made several visits here during her reign).

But not for long. One morning I logged on to find the square occupied again with busy stalls and crowds of shoppers milling about them. This had been its traditional role for centuries and the reason for its name Maktplatz. Those stalls would disappear during the night, a cycle, I would soon observe, of a market that takes place every Wednesday.


One weekend recently the square was the venue for an exhibition of classic cars.


Last weekend there was what appeared to be a candlelight vigil, most likely a religious observance.


One evening a large van parked in the square to offload tables and benches. Soon Marktplatz was turned into what must have been a beer garden. You could see smoke rising from the mobile kitchens, enticing, no doubt, with the aroma of bratwurst, urging one to quaff a stein of freshly drawn Bavarian brew! Summer had arrived in Coburg.


At intervals in this constantly changing panorama, a small van or two will park, in the same spot week after week, an awning will be unrolled and an entrepreneur will set up shop for a few hours.

Bustling life is constantly flowing through the Markplatz, but it also ebbs from time to time. Then, the fountains gush but not vigorously, a family strolls through with a toddler breaking from its parent’s hand to run away to the fountain, a mother pushes a stroller, a cyclist rides through, the odd car or truck takes a shortcut, a small knot of tourists clusters around a guide at the base of Albert’s monument. Markplatz, Coburg, may slumber occasionally, but it never sleeps.

8 comments:

JALAN REBUNG said...

hello louis,

Now that is high tech !!! Congratulations to you and you,ve inspire me to do the same. By just using technology we can now travel far away virtually. Thanks for sharing ....

rizal

louis said...

Rizal,

Good to hear from you.

Virtual travel using webcams and other technology is not only convenient, but actually can provide insights a real travel may not be able to get. Of course I still can't get an ice kacang unless I fly to KL.

I hope you will blog about your virtual travel and continue to write about your real travels.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Wow! Virtual travelling via livecams! What a novel and wonderful idea! Those scenes look like they came right out of a Grimm Brothers storybook, Louis! The orderly market square, the vintage cars, the beer garden, the marketplace at night illuminated by the soft glow of votive candles.. absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to go there.

louis said...

Hi CO'78,

I think the webocams take armchair travel to a much higher level. Watching these cities in action is a powerful incentive to go to visit them.

Many of the cams happen to overlook old town squares in European cities, creating that Grimm Brothers ambience you mentioned.

Pat said...

Hello Louis,

I've seen you in CO78's blog, and in Pak Idrus' place as well - and it's only today that I decided to come and check out your blog!

Perhaps it was the comment about '... not only in bolehland...' that spiked my interest!!

And I'm glad that I dropped by. What a lovely place you've got here - and so many things after my own heart.

I read with wonder your review of the iPad, was it? The e-book thingy where you can load loads of books at one time?

I want one, but I don't know if I can bear not touching my paper-books ever! Hahahah! But the thought of travelling without the additional weight (I must have a stash with me wheerever I go!) is soooo tempting!

And your armchair travel here is simply brilliant!

louis said...

Hi Pat,

I am delighted that you have stopped by. I trust there will be more visits? I have read your comments in CO'78's and other blogs over the past several months and have read some of your posts but then one day you said you were no longer going to blog.

I appreciate very much your compliments.

I did pick up on your reference to "bolehland", thinking i should add that comment that foolishness among politicians and the electorate too is very much in evidence over here as well especially currently. I am sure you are aware of our "teabaggers" and other assorted idiots. Reading blogs and letters to the editor in Malaysian newspapers, I sometimes think Malaysians are too hard on themselves at times:)

That e-reader is indeed the iPad. Like you, I thought i would miss the sensory experience of a real book, but the device is unobtrusive and intuitive enough in use that one overlooks that in a short time. And yes, the convenience of carrying around a considerable library in it is amazing.

Pat said...

Hey Louis!

Oh yes, I plan to return! I enjoyed my last visit immensely :)

About my blog: Yes, I did decide to not write anymore - it was becoming more of a chore than a pleasure....

BUT, a couple of days ago, my husband caught a huge fish - and I decided to 'share' that with whoever would still visit! So without my meaning to, it seems that I've now got a photoblog of sorts. Hahahah! It's less grating on my senses, anyways!

Btw, I had to Google 'teabaggers', because 'no, I hadn't heard of it!' What reading for a Sunday morning, my good man! I can't wait for my husband to come home - so I can share my 'new' information! Hahahahah!

Cheers from oh-so-hot Port Dickson!

louis said...

Pat,

Ooops! Am I redfaced! I should have mentioned that I was referring to teabaggers in the political sense! A bunch of KnowNothings, bigotted, racist dummies that, according to them, want to "take America back", meaning to the America of the days of slavery and segregation and laissez faire non-regulated Big Business.

Your husband's fish were fine prizes. Bet they made a delicious dinner.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive