Saturday, July 24, 2010

First Flight


I missed the first flight of one of the the two fledgling storks. I was just in time to see his tail as he left the nest.It seemed more as though he had fallen out of the nest rather than flown off, but I knew he could fly when he flew into the nest from off camera a few minutes later.

Since then he has been away from the nest for a while every evening.

The other stork seems very agitated when he is left alone and I wondered why he didn't do as his sibling and go joy-flying around.

This morning, my time, evening his time, he flew. I don't know if it was his first flight, but it was an exciting moment for me.

I will let the following sequence of pictures tell the story:

10 comments:

Pak Zawi said...

Louis,
Great narration and picture. to see such a thing happen is the chance of a life time.
Now I remember making an observation of a pair of birds leaving the nest for the first time but forgot to post it for all to read. I think I will do it soon to share with you all the joy of seeing two birds leaving the nest with the parents egging them on.

Pak Idrus said...

Louis, I believe Elena would be happy that you are now watching this kind of 'bird' only. Enjoy it.

Pat said...

Such a beautiful sight.

And, in a way, the last picture is sad: this may be one of the last few times the siblings will settle in for the night together, won't it?

But, still, beautiful.

louis said...

Zawi,

I am looking forward to your blog about those birds being persuaded to fly.

louis said...

Hi Idrus,

You mean there's another kind of birds? I guess I'll have to go back to my Google dictionary :)

louis said...

Thanks, Pat.

They don't show any sign of leaving. In fact last evening the mother continued bringing them food. I wonder where she stays, because she doesn't stay in that nest.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Simply delightful, Louis! I especially love "I'm back!" Storks are so intelligent and sensitive. The painted storks from our national zoo fly out to the highway and perch on the lampposts most of the day. In the evening, they fly back to the zoo for supper. And we call them "bird brain"?!?!?

louis said...

Thanks, CO'78.

The storks at your National Zoo are very savvy.

My observation of those two storks confirms your characterization of them as "intelligent and sensitive". They are certainly very much aware of each other's space. They help each other preen and although they eat with gusto when their mother brings them food Ii have never seen them fight over it.

Aishah said...

Hello.

Awesome pictures. May I join in your hopscotch. I saw amazing pictures of beautiful places.

louis said...

Aishah,

Thanks for your visit and comment.

By all means. You are welcome to Hopscotch.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive