Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fall in Budapest



Short days, long evenings, low, gray skies, chill, damp rain:  typical Fall weather wouldn’t change my routines when I had to go to work, raise kids and putter about with Do-it-yourself projects and maintenance around the house. 
Now though I have to find things to do to keep the devil away from my idle hands that complain at the thought of  being exposed to Fall weather. My iPad has come to my rescue and I can while away some time comfortably with it by my fireplace, an activity my whole body thanks me for and which keeps that devil at bay.
For the past ten days or so I have been taking this sequence of screen shots of a corner of a park in Budapest that is scanned continuously by a webcam, observing the inexorable march of Fall reflected in the changing color of the trees and as they lose their dense foliage to become bare trunks and branches.

In the beginning, just a few pale reddish patches, still mostly green.

















The reds are taking over and the green a paler shade.
















On this sunny day, the trees are ablaze with vivid red and golden leaves.















The reds are turning to brown and the leaves are beginning to fall away. Note the workers raking leaves.















Overnight most of the leaves have been stripped from the trees, most of the branches are bare and the grass is littered with fallen leaves.























6 comments:

Pak Idrus said...

Hi Louis, you seem to flying around the world all the times. Have you got sort of a new personal flying machine there.

Thanks for that posting, it reminds me of those wonderful Fall in Boston.

Have a nice day.

louis said...

Idrus,

I do indeed have a wonderful flying machine, my iPad, which regularly takes me all over the world by way of live webcams.

The Fall colors in Boston and the rest of the NE of the US are famous for their beauty. You were fortunate to be living there during the Fall. The rest of us have to take a tour if we want to enjoy that sight.

Pat said...

Trees are beautiful in every stage of their lives, but they're most beautiful in the fall, aren't they? All those golds and reds and browns, the colours of fire and flames, and indeed they do seem to be like burning torches in the sun.

I have yet to be anywhere in the fall, and I hope that one day, I'll be able to remedy that ;)

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Louis, the park looks just like an Impressionist painting! The seasons fascinate me because we have none here, unless you count: Hot, Hotter, Rainy and Rainier.

I remember being in Hayward, California in Oct-Nov '99. I remember Halloween pumpkins and lawn decorations, collecting red fall leaves to press between the pages of books, plucking lemons and persimmons, breakfast at Denny's, buying early Christmas candies at K-mart and Albertsons, our Thanksgiving turkey and pumpkin pie, jumping into piles of raked leaves and then having to sweep it all up again.

I loved it all, even the raking leaves part. I could make a killing raking leaves if I were a teenager in the States.

louis said...

Pat,

I do hope you get your wish to visit a place with trees wearing their Fall foliage. Not only are the trees themselves colorful, but they share their splendor with the ground around them, carpeting even once bare, muddy trails or nondescript concrete sidewalks with gold,or royal reds or those mounds of brown dry leaves that invite one to frolic as they did with CO'78 (see her comment).

louis said...

CO'78,

You enjoyed one of the best slices of American life with those Fall experiences you had in Northern California. I hope you would accept credit cards for raking leaves because then i would have been certain to employ you.

When we moved from Southern California for Seattle, which, at the risk of being branded a chauvinist, I would agree has as perfect a climate as one can imagine, our neighbors thought we were crazy. But I prefer the distinct seasons here in Seattle to the monotony of that "perfect" weather. The whole rhythm of life changes along with the four seasons.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive