Saturday, May 10, 2008

hopscotch: The Introduction

I have hopscotched through many countries and many lifestyles: studying,working, partying, marrying, parenting and now, grandparenting and cruising through retirement.









I don't think any reading of my horoscope or Zodiac sign would have predicted that. Given the pattern of life followed by my grandparents, parents and my nine older siblings, I should have been a very conservative Catholic and lived all my life in Trinidad within a few miles of the ancestral home



But without my being much aware of it, a lot of different hands were drawing the lines of this hopscotch game into which I have thrown my marker.

My parents, brothers and sisters were all very enterprising and had taught themselves to be very competent in their fields. They were also very adept at practical and mechanical things, such as maintaining their cars. I was like them, but I also had a strong inclination towards reading books and other academic activities. My oldest brother, his patience sometimes stretched by my clumsiness when, as a last resort he'd call me to help him with some mechanical task, would address me as "Shakespeare".

As "Shakespeare" I got to do the chores where I couldn't do much damage, like washing non-precision car parts with kerosene. I began to dislike grime and smelly, oily fluids that were impossible to wash from my hands.

I was further nudged towards a more academic kind of life when a childhood scourge laid me low for some months just at adolescence, preventing me from running around with my pals. Physical activities were limited for some months after that.

A line was being drawn more sharply as I went through High School, succeeding very well in my exams and liking every moment of it. University was beginning to become a goal. But there would be no local university in Trinidad for many years. University meant going overseas to the UK or the USA.

                                            University College Dublin

Given that most of my High School teachers were Irish clerics, and that there was a dark legend that most locals who had gone to the UK to study had "lost their Faith", a cause of great gloom among their families, I, and my parents chose Ireland rather than England for my University education.

Up to that time I wouldn't have guessed that that line was part of a hopscotch pattern. It was supposed to be just one straight line that led to Dublin then back to Trinidad.

10 comments:

Pak Idrus said...

louis, Great. Welcome to blogsphere and enjoy cybersphere like never before.

I am indeed glad that the cybervirus got to you, so now I no longer need to address you as a cyberpal anymore. Your are now one of us, a new species call blogger and that put us as citizen of blogsphere. I am sure that you would find blogsphere a wonderful place to be in and with that made living more colorful.

Your first posting is indeed a condensed history of your life journey and been a prolific writer I am sure we would soon get to read more interesting episode of that journey.

That would do for now and again welcome my friend to blogsphere.

Have a nice day.

Rita Ho said...

Hi Louis ... CONGRATULATIONS on setting up your blog and WELCOME to the world of blogging!

I like your choice of blog title. It promises interesting stories of your travel hop-stops and the rich life you have led and continue to have. :)

Where did you take the first picture? It is breathtaking!

How did you end up in the Pacific NW or rather, which lifestyle brought you over from Trinidad? I know, I should wait for your subsequent posts and I will.

Have a great blogging week, Louis.

louis said...

Yes, Pak Idrus, the "cybervirus got to" me eventually, and you had a lot to do with that. Thanks for your encouragement, and especially for the great model of blogging that your posts present.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...and I am sure you will notice the imitation as my blog progresses.

louis said...

Hi Rita,

What a warm welcome you have given me to the world of blogging! Terima kaseh. You did plant the idea of my blogging earlier on, and your posts have provided me a great example to follow.

I took that picture of the cruise ship at the Hubbard Glacier last year. I am headed that way again next week, so I'll probably post some more pictures. I think you have been there, right?

To wind up here in the Pacific NW, I have had to do as much tacking as the skipper of a sailboat :) Yes, I'll explore some of those moves and what motivated them.

Rita Ho said...

No, Louis ... I have not been to the Hubbard Glacier. You mentioned it in one of your comments on my blog and I have noted it down on my list of places to visit.

Alaska has been somewhat elusive for us. David and I have been planning to go there every year since I arrived in the US in 2003 but something always happen to postpone the trip. We again put it on our calendar for summer but last Saturday we attended an auction and won a week stay in Greece! I know summer has many days and we can still travel north but with Greece comes the rationale to tour a bit of Europe since we are already there. I am thinking we shouldn't plan for Alaska in future but just wake up one morning, pack and off we go. :)

louis said...

What a prize, Rita! Congratulations.

Have you been to Turkey? If not, well, it's a short ride from Greece, and a fascinating country to visit.

Would you sail your boat up to Alaska? That would be quite an experience. Just make sure we don't run over you in our 90,000 ton dinghy :)

Rita Ho said...

Thank you, Louis. The auction was for charity, so we bid without studying the catalog in details. It turned out that the prize is a luxury home that could accommodate 3 families!

I haven't been to Turkey but David has and he loves it there. Like you, he was fascinated by the place as well as the Turkish people. We plan to visit.

And yes, we hope to sail to Alaska, via the Inside Passage. The boat has been upgraded and fitted for the trip and we have invested in a whole chest of charts, routes and maps to make sure we don't make a dent in your dinghy. Haha!

louis said...

Hi Rita,
Wow! A luxury villa in Greece!

I'll look through the Archives of David's blog to see if he has any posts on Turkey there. I wonder if those wonderful Turkish breakfasts used to start off his days on a great note, as they used to do for me :)

Pak Zawi said...

Louis,
Sorry for being late. Of late I have been late for everything. With a 10 months old grand daughter to mind, blog hopping is a luxury to me. Barely managed to keep to keep my own blog alive.
Now that you have started your own blog, I have so much to catch up with just your blogs. Don't worry you can count on me to read up your blogs as I find them to be interesting and informative. Please allow me to link to your site.

louis said...

Hello Zawi,

With a ten month old to babysit you certainly must have your hands full. Sometimes looking back to the days when our children were babies and we had fulltime jobs, my wife and i wonder how we were able to juggle those responsibilities.

I appreciate your interest in my blog, and your comments. By all means link it if you wish. May I do the same for yours?

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive