Sunday, July 6, 2008

Meeting in Seattle

Meeting in Seattle

Usually it happens the other way around: a notable event becomes a post in a blog, a smile becomes a Smiley face or a “ :-) “, a person becomes a photo or an icon.

Last Wednesday and Saturday the opposite was true. The icons and photos became real people. The “ :-) “ and the posts in “In Passing”, “I Am Making Notes” and “Louis-Hopscotch” became pleasant conversations over meals. The hands that had typed out the Comments that had been our only contact up to that moment clasped in handshakes.

Pak Idrus, his wife Asmah and daughter Lin, Rita and David, my wife Elena and I met in person on Wednesday and on Saturday. I doubt that the small groups of diners at the other tables at Ivar's Salmon House looking out at the skyline of Seattle across Lake Union, or at Julia's, a small bright yellow old house converted into an Indonesian restaurant on the fringes of the University District in Seattle, could claim such diverse roots or came together from such scattered corners of the world. And I wonder if any of them were like us who had known each other only in cyberspace until that moment when we shook hands as we arrived at the table.

This first face to face meeting was delightful and I became so absorbed in the conversations that I took only a few photos. I am looking forward to Idrus and Rita publishing theirs.

A gift of exquisite Songket from Idrus, Asmah and Lin

With a sculpture at the Ballard Locks. The Salmon Ladder (see previous Post) is directly below.

At the English Gardens, a Botanical Garden at the Ballard Locks

Celebrities and photographer

Outside Ivar's Salmon House, a restaurant with Native American cuisine and crafts

Dinner at Ivar's on Lake Union

We finally all meet from Cyberspace at Julia's in Seattle.
The next day, Sunday, this restaurant was featured in the newspaper. Was it because of us :)?

12 comments:

JALAN REBUNG said...

Hi louis...I can see that you've few blogging friends from Malaysia. Good to know that you've met Pak Idrus and family. You do have a very infromative blog and thanks for sharing.

RIZAL

Pak Idrus said...

Louis, a great write up of our adventure. Indeed a wonderful world we live in now.. from cybersphere to the real world. Asmah, Lin and me did enjoy our stay in Seattle. Thanks to Elena and you.

Have a nice day and see you in Kuala Lumpur.

louis said...

Hello Rizal,

Welcome to my blog. Hope you'll be a regular visitor and continue to find it informative.

Saying that I enjoyed meeting Pak Idrus would be an understatement.

You may wonder why I have blogging friends from Malaysia. The reason is that my wife and I have been visiting Malaysia frequently since the mid 1980's and we have several friends in the country. Blogging has introduced us to new friends there.

louis said...

Idrus, Elena and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you, Asmah and Lin, and through you, Rita and David. We do look forward very much to meeting all of you again many times, here and in Malaysia.

We are very happy to hear that you had a pleasant visit . Your fine gift of songket will enhance our house and be a great reminder of you.

Pak Zawi said...

louis,
You are such a gracious host. You took care of my friend Pak Idrus so well.
Hope our path will cross someday.

JALAN REBUNG said...

Hello Louis,

Good to know that you've been visiting Malaysia frequently. Count me in the next time you're here.

Rizal

louis said...

Hi Zawi,

I had been looking forward to meeting Pak Idrus, and my expectations were more than fulfilled.

Your name came up several times in our conversations here with Pak Idrus. One of the things I would like to do is meet up with him, you and at least part of his circle of fellow bloggers in KL.

My Malaysian friends have always made me feel very welcome on my visits to Malaysia.

I was reading your latest Post when your comment arrived, and I realized to my embarassment that I hadn't responded to your comment about my version of your sunset photo. I had meant to tell you that if ever you want some graphics work done on a photo, I would be very willing to help if I could.

louis said...

Hi Rizal,

You can bet I'll contact you on my next visit to KL :) Thanks.

Rita Ho said...

Hi Louis ... It was so nice to finally meet you and Elena in the company of the charming Idrus family on Saturday.

It was a bummer I couldn't join your tour. You took some lovely pics, especially those featuring our celebrities in sightseeing mode. :)

I don't have many to share and totally forgot about people pics on Saturday. Those on the delicious food, I have. Haha ...

Hope to see you again real soon, Louis.

Unknown said...

Hello Louis,
You all sure had a good time, yes? :)
Cyberspace, in a sense, has become more effective for making friends; you guys are living example :)
Same here, I am making loads of friends. Mostly I haven't met physically, but I can bet my fingers that when we get to meet each other, we'll have loads of things to talk about. You know, like good 'ol friends :)
Have a nice day.

louis said...

Rita and David,

Elena and I had been looking forward keenly to meeting you, and we are absolutely delighted that we did. You have an open invitation to our home and we hope you'll come over soon.

What a treat it was to meet Idrus, Asmah and Lin !

Your photos of the food are temptingI My Nasi Goreng sure looks tasty in your picture :)

louis said...

Hello Akmal,

We all certainly had a good time.

This was a very good example of how meeting on the net can lead to close friendships. I agree, that when we meet in KL, conversation will come easily. I already know we can talk about Photoshop :)

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive