Sunday, April 25, 2010

It Must Be Summer

In Southern California the swallows returning to their nests in the walls of the ruins of the old Mission in San Juan Capistrano on March 19 each year announce the arrival of Spring there.

Here in Seattle, the imminent arrival of Summer is heralded in a less poetic way by another bird, an old warbird, a restored B-17 "Flying Fortress" World War II bomber. It comes to Boeing Field for a few days around this time of year just before the big events of Summer: the opening of the Boating Season on Lake Washington (next weekend) and SeaFair which goes on all summer long with exciting events such as big outdoor concerts, a hydroplane race and the Blue Angels. For two days you can buy a 40 minute ride in it over downtown Seattle, experiencing some of the spartan, noisy life on board of its World War II crews.


The unmistakable drone of its four big piston engines woke me up on Saturday morning as it flew low right down my street almost directly over my front balcony and seemingly just above the trees in the park on its final approach to Boeing Field.

Last year I was able to get a still picture of it as it flew past. This year I hastily got my little Canon still digital camera, set it on movie mode and anxiously watched the clock figuring it would return in about 40 minutes with its next load of sightseers.

Sure enough on schedule, I could hear its rumble as it came up from behind the trees and I ran out to my balcony to capture this video of our bird.

4 comments:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

WOWEEEEE! Sure am glad you had your camera with you! <3 <3 <3 Love the photo, Louis! Being an avid fan of the Air Force ace Biggles series in my youth, WWI and WWII aircrafts fascinate me. Amazing that at the beginning of WWI, the aircrafts had no parachutes and most carried no firearms and were mostly for surveillance and spy missions. By WWII they developed comparatively sophisticated bombs, weapons and surveillance equipment. Long live Memphis Belle!

louis said...

There is something fascinating about those vintage planes. Like vintage cars they seem to exude more originality, creativity, individuality and character, were more demanding of human skill and ingenuity.I think the same goes for those earlier adolescent adventure series. I was an avid reader of those too.

By the way, I don't understand your "<3 <3 <3" reference. Would appreciate enlightenment. Thanks.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

<3 = Heart. Seen sideways. Like a smiley :)

louis said...

CO'78,

Hey, that's terrific. Thanks for the information and the thought.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive