Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Why I Go Back


I have been eating at this restaurant, Taste of India, in the university district in Seattle for a number of years.

Obviously I like the food. In fact it was an "Eureka!" moment for me when I ate my first meal there and my craving for Indian cuisine, authentic Indian cuisine, was satisfied after numerous disappointments with what passes for Indian food so often in the US: the Chicken Tikka that is only brushed with a synthetic orange color dye and has never been inside a tandoori oven, the naans that are more tortillas than naan, the curries so bland that they could be barbeque sauce. Not that tortillas and barbeque sauce don't have their merits, but, no matter how disguised, they couldn't convince as Indian food a palate that had been hooked on Indian food cooked by Indians in Indian households in Trinidad or by Indian hawkers there and by Indian friends and cooks in Malaysia.

It is no wonder that this unpretentious restaurant, tucked almost unnoticeable among old, small buildings housing sundry small businesses and old small houses of an earlier era (it is actually one of them, garage included, converted into a restaurant) has won a prestigious Zagat award. The food is really that good.

But what brings me back is also the staff and attitude there, and as satisfactory as the service always is, today's incident surpassed all my previous experiences.

It was by itself a small gesture, but far above expectations. I had stopped by on this very gray, chilly, wet Seattle afternoon to order some takeout food to eat at home.


As I sat in the restaurant waiting for my order, my wife stayed in the car in the parking lot, some distance from the entrance. The young host offered me chai, then water but I declined. After a few minutes he offered me beverages again, and after some persuasion I settled on a decaffeinated coffee, which he had to brew especially for me because most customers prefer regular coffee, I suppose. After serving me mine he asked what my wife out in the car would like. I was surprised because he could not easily see my car from his station.

I requested a decaf coffee for her. He brewed that cup and I thought he would give it to me to take out to my wife. But, after asking me if she took sugar in her coffee, he went outside in the rain to my car and served her her coffee. He had even thoughtfully poured the coffee into a disposable cup so she could drive off and finish it in the car. He did all of this in the most matter of fact way.

I think that after that, even if the food weren't so good, I'd keep going back to the Taste of India.

7 comments:

Pak Idrus said...

Louis, That was a great narrative of the story of people who touches our lives. It is the small happening like these that made life so wonderfully colorful.

The food alone would not make you to come back again and again, often it is the services that does it. That human touch that made the differences and that's what made all of us being human rather been just a human being.

Have a nice day and take care.

louis said...

Hi Idrus,

Thanks for your positive comment.

That's a remarkable distinction you make between "human being" and "being human". Like your other sage comments, I shall keep this one in mind.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Wow! Amazing! Such thoughtfulness! I agree with you, Louis, it really is the human touch that keeps us coming back to a particular store or restaurant. Your wife must have been surprised and touched! I have always had a fondness for Indian food, and this blogpost made me hungry for some right now.

louis said...

Fortunately for you, CO'78, there are innumerable places in KL to satisfy your hunger for Indian food and i trust you went out and patronized one.

Sometimes that human touch is so characteristic of a people that it makes one want to return to a country time and again. That is the major reason I have travelled for 26 hours at a time several times, to visit Malaysia.

ric hernandez said...

Always good to stumble upon real Indian food. Janice was able to get some naan from the Loco Walmart (I almost said Hi-Lo!) and it was passable, but acceptable. Although, the calorie count did not seem to recommend it. We did run into a place, similarly named, in Flagstaff and it was close to, but not, the real thing. A treat, nevertheless,

louis said...

Hello Ric,

Some time ago a brother and his wife in Trinidad sent me a number of roti and "buss up shut" skins by fast Fedex Express. What a treat that was! They had planned an even bigger treat, having made some curry to go with them but the curry was not permitted by the carrier.

Have you ever found Trinidad style rotis in an Indian restaurant abroad? I have had "roti" in many places but it's different from that in TT. I suppose in Indian cuisine outside of Trinidad (and Canada and Pam's Kitchen in Seattle) it means something else.

ric hernandez said...

Never found the real thing here, but had it made for us by my one-time secretary, an Indian girl, who came with family to see us in Show Low. We simply gorged!
I have better luck with good curry. Our eldest daughter, Mel, is great in this respect. She was here recently and kept up the tradition. There was a finicky neighbor who, remarkably enough, had seconds.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive