Sunday, April 11, 2010

Of Coconut Palms and Daffodils


The SMS along with the almost live cellphone photo of the beach in Hawaii, the swaying coconut palm trees ( ok, it was a still photo, but aren't they always swaying, in a cool, gentle breeze? ), the azure ocean and clear blue sky, was meant to be an ironic taunt dripping with crocodile tears:

"Sorry about the weather".

And it was effective, as I had just come in from a sunny but chilly Seattle afternoon. Images of pale wintered bodies, basted generously with coconut and pineapple scented sunscreen being slowly roasted in the friendly Hawaiian sun seemed a desirable fate, never mind health warnings.

In sheer retaliation I shot back with a picture of golden daffodils that my wife had happened to snap quickly with her iPhone as traffic slowed while we were driving through the University of Washington campus a few minutes earlier.


That will show them, my lucky offspring frolicking in paradise, without us, I muttered as I dashed off my e-mail.

Then I began to understand why those British colonial masters who had forced us in our school curriculum to marvel at Wordsworth's "host of golden daffodils" had never reciprocated by including our coconut palms swaying in a heavenly Tropical climate in their curriculum in the UK. They had never mentioned that those daffodils, bright and golden as they were,"tossing their heads" in their "dance," were really shivering in the chill of Spring. There might have been a mass exodus from bleak motherland Britain to the Tropics, never mind their poetry.

Up against that beach in Hawaii, you lose, Wordsworth.

2 comments:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Aloha, Louis! I must agree with you there -- daffodils could never hold up against a week of sun, sand, volcanoes and bikini-clad girls in Honolulu!

Sending some of our warm weather your way.

louis said...

Gee, CO'78, I hadn't thought of the bikini-clad girls. Thanks for the reminder, and for the warm weather...it was delivered: today it's about 12C, great daffodil weather.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive