Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Mother's GPS

My Mother’s GPS


My son returned from his European vacation tonight, and I found myself tracking his flight from London periodically during its 11 hour duration on my computer.

I knew when he was moving at a ground speed of 496 mph at 40,000 feet over Greenland then some hours later at 475 mph at the same altitude over Alberta Province in Canada. The map would update and let me know if there was a deviation from the original flight plan.

I followed all of the final six minutes to landing marvelling at how many miles his plane covered in that short space of time even as it slowed, and noting as the plane’s altitude dropped quickly.

All of this made possible by the combination of GPS and Flight Explorer.com.


Then my mother came to mind. I suddenly realized that I had acquired one of her habits. She almost always mentally accompanied each of her many children on all our excursions from our home, whether it was to the corner shop or on the rare occasions when one of us went overseas. Her tracking usually included a prayer for our safety.

Sixty or more years ago, without so much as a watch, map or a compass, let alone cellphone or GPS, she had an uncanny ability to know if we deviated from our planned route. She could always figure out our Estimated Time of Arrival back home. She didn’t use that knowledge to exercise control over our movements though but rather as a basis for asking just the right question that would cause a revelation of some distraction along our way: a detention after school for some small infraction in class, a ripe mango from a neighbor’s tree which happened to fall some yards off our beaten path just as we passed, an impromptu game of football or cricket with schoolmates, perhaps a new adolescent romantic interest.

At my home we usually didn’t have a formal curfew, but when the church bell rang the Angelus at 6:00 pm everyday, all of us who were still of school age knew we should be at home. Similarly our day began when the church bell rang the “First Bell”, the first of three alerts, half an hour before the first Mass of the day.


When I left for Ireland to study, none of my family had ever experienced winter, although of course we had read about it and seen pictures of snow. Shortly before my trip I found Mother standing at the open refrigerator, her hands inside the freezing compartment for a few moments. Just trying to see how winter must feel, she explained. She doubtlessly would be tracking me, with her prayers, almost every day, far away from the world she knew, as I went about my new life in Dublin.

11 comments:

Hjh Nazli Abbas said...

Always enjoy reading your anecdotes. You remind me of my favorite author and his book - Gerald Durell : "My Family and Other Animals". This was one of my literature text books in secondary school!

Fauziah Ismail said...

Hi Louis
When we were in London, our driver picked us up from the airport to go to the hotel in the city. Even aided by GPS, he got us lost.
It took a Malaysian in the group, who had lived in London before, to guide the driver to the hotel.
We found that hilarious at that time.

louis said...

What a coincidence, Puteri Hang Li Poh, Nazli, that you should mention "My Family and Other Animals".

A classmate in Dublin gave me a copy about 49 years ago and I only reluctantly gave it up about 10 years ago when downsizing and moving. It had been one of my favorite books. That classmate thought that Lawrence's "family" reminded her of her own, and I still recall her laughing at the great similarity with one of her relatives who had a habit of sweeping through the house "trailing yards of chiffon and perfume":)

Thanks for the compliment.

I am glad to see you have resumed your blog writing.

louis said...

Hello Fauzia,

Score a point for humans! Sometimes we do outsmart technology.

And sometimes, as in the case of my mother, instinct can be remarkable.

louis said...

Sue and Karl,

Thanks for your very supportive e-mail.

louis said...

Two corrections:

Puteri Hang Li Poh:

I should have written: "Durrell's" family.

Fauziah:
Sorry, I misspelled your name.

JALAN REBUNG said...

hi louis,

Nice to see to journey back to your hometown or in Malay it's "KAMPONG".

Thanks for dropping a note on my LCD posting. You are right , watching football match from now on will be GREAT ..

RIZAL

louis said...

Good to hear from you, Rizal.

Terima kaseh for the lesson in Bahasa.

JALAN REBUNG said...

hi louis,

You know what ...I'm impressed with your bahasa ...probably you should try to write one ..hehehe.

yang benar = yours truly

RIZAL

p/s : which soccer team you support (if any)?

Pak Idrus said...

Louis, a great write up of living. Yes mom's gps is in the gene and like the saying ' Mothers hold their children's hands a while and their hearts forever' How true.

Have a nice day.

louis said...

Idrus,

What beautiful and touching quotation!

It motivated me to write a post: "Their Hearts Forever".

Thank you.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, United States

Blog Archive